About Me

My photo
I love cars! I try to stay in sync with the automotive industry as well as history. This blog will chronicle interesting events as well as my own commentary on the state of the industry.

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Another race car




A little different interpretation of racing than what you see today. Best I can figure (reading the Google translated version of the webpage) it was created because Voisin won the previous year and the rules were changed to preclude something in his design that others didn't like.
I love random design exercises like this, and you really have to admire them for finding new and creative ways to reduce weight. I think even Colin Chapman would have been impressed with things like narrowing the rear end to eliminate the need for a differential, and having the water pump be propeller driven (this also to coax a bit more power out of the tiny engine).
Also note, that even for a race car this has a nicely detailed (albeit spartan)interior. Of course I read that it has never won a competitive event. It reminds me of the Frenchman's line in The Patriot: "If I die, I die well dressed".



http://translate.google.co.in/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fpagesperso-orange.fr%2Fautomobiles-voisin%2FC_6.html&sl=fr&tl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment