About Me

My photo
I love cars! I try to stay in sync with the automotive industry as well as history. This blog will chronicle interesting events as well as my own commentary on the state of the industry.

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Another sad day in the life of a car guy

I see today that Roger Penske has canceled his plans to take over the Saturn brand. While the only Saturn I have cared about was the Sky, Saturn represented a unique interpretation on American cars. Something that would be a good top quality vehicle at a minimal price. Of course that was the theory not necessarily the execution, but when it was announced that Penske was taking over the brand I had high hopes that he would bring some new enthusiasm to the brand. Penske of course being one of very few remaining "car guys" in the automotive industry. While I'm sure there's more to it than most of us understand, I don't see why he didn't look into picking up an idle GM, Ford or Chrysler plant and producing his own vehicles. More capital up front I know, but it shouldn't be as hard to accomplish as what GM is already trying to do. Start from scratch, except you already have a dealer network and decent reputation.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/09/30/news/companies/penske_saturn/index.htm?postversion=2009093019

No comments:

Post a Comment